Thursday, December 17, 2009

A new favorite movie! (it's a Jane Austen of course!)


It's no secret that I am a Jane Austen fan. I have seen and read Pride and Prejudice hundreds of times combined. I own multiple copies of the book and a large book containing all of Jane Austen's published works (and I am in great need of a new copy since the cover recently fell off, due to over use). As such a huge Austen fan, I don't know how I have managed to go the past couple of years without seeing this BBC version of Austen's Persuasion.

As mentioned in this post, I have recently decided to give movie borrowing at the library a try. While perusing the online directory of movies available in the county library system, I found that this movie was available to borrow and swiftly placed a hold. On Monday I stopped by the library in order to return books that were due and pick up this movie. I have since watched the movie two times and I am on my third watching right now. Thanks to the library, I now have a new favorite movie, and an addition to my ever growing Amazon.com wish list.

The BBC always does and excellent job of sticking to the novel, when creating a movie based on a classic novel. I am often disappointed in a movie version of a favorite book, but when I see a BBC production I am rarely disappointed. The acting is very good, and consistent with Austen's descriptions. Sally Hawkins does a wonderful job as Anne (reminding me somewhat of Minne Driver in Return to Me in her mannerisms) and Rupert Penry-Jones is a gorgeous Captain Wentworth (seriously, he is HOT, and I really don't say that very often about actors...what is it about Austen men? One of the few other actors who I consider to be eye candy is Collin Firth of Mr. Darcy fame).

Amazon has Persuasion right now for only $11.99 or as a combo with the newer BBC version of Sense and Sensibility for just $25.49. What a bargain especially when you take advantage of free Super Saver Shipping when you order $25 or more of qualifying items.

I received no compensation for this post. The opinion expressed is completely honest and 100% my own. As an Amazon associate I will receive compensation for any purchases made through links on this page.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's my favorite movie right now too--and Rupert had a lot to do with that. I had to read a bunch of Persuasion "sequels" and stories from Wentworth's point-of-view just to spend more time with the story. :)
*swoon*